Online Design & eLearning

Faculty Focused

State Authorization Is Not Only For Online Programs

Posted on: August 11th, 2014 by Mary Lea Moore

Part Two in a Five Part Series on State Authorization

state-auth-wordleFollow-up on 5 Things to Know About State Authorization at Ole Miss

State authorization is not limited to distance education and online programs. It encompasses everything that an institution is doing in another state (ex: advertising, employment, any face-to-face activities, etc.). Therefore, it is important that our institution understand which programs, both online and residential, are serving students in another state or have a physical presence in an outside state.

What activities are considered physical presence triggers? Well…it depends. Each state has a different definition and different regulations so that question is not easy to answer. Examples include but are not limited to:

  1. Instruction – internships, externships, practicums, clinical placements, seminars, etc.
  2. Recruiting – agents in the state, frequency of contact with students, etc.
  3. Property – equipment (i.e., computers, servers) or instructional sites
  4. Employment – faculty members (full-time and adjunct), mentors, or supervisors
  5. 3rd Party Contracts – proctored exams or student services
  6. Advertising – national media or local media (targeted)

If your department and program take part in any of these activities, please contact Mary Lea Moore,, 662-915-7089, for more information and to discuss how you can help the University of Mississippi be compliant.