Originally begun as a summer grant to help foster exploration and innovation in the early days of online education at the University of Mississippi, the WOW! Grant allowed online instructors the time and resources to integrate new or advanced techniques or technologies into their existing online courses, and to help create an online course that was more cutting edge, resulting in an exceptional online experience for learners.
With online education becoming more main stream, much of the innovation sought with the WOW! Grant is now the standard in many online courses at UM and done by the instructor to ensure their students are engaged with the course, the instructor and their fellow students.
The Division of Outreach and Continuing Education and the Office of Academic Outreach are excited to tap into this incredible resource – UM’s online faculty – and announce the Wow the Online World Faculty Fellow. This is a highly competitive fellowship for online instructors. The fellowship is designed to allow online instructors the opportunity to offer their expertise to fellow instructors at the University of Mississippi.
Applications for the 2022-23 Academic Year has been closed.
The WOW! Faculty Fellow program is designed to highlight the innovative achievements and sound instructional practices of online instructors at the University of Mississippi, and affords the opportunity to learn from peer to peer instruction and conversation.
Any online instructor (full-time, part-time, and adjunct) endorsed to teach online by Academic Outreach is eligible to apply for the Academic Outreach WOW! Fellow program.
Applicants must complete an online application form in one of three areas:
- Innovative Use of Technology,
- Pedagogy and Effective Practices in Online Teaching or Education, or
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusivity & Accessibility in Online Teaching or Education.
Selection of Academic Outreach WOW! Faculty Fellow
The selection committee will review applications and potential candidates will be contacted for an interview to determine the recipient(s) of the fellowship.
Terms of an Academic Outreach WOW! Online Faculty Fellow
- Faculty fellows will receive a stipend of $6,000 over the course of the academic year.
- Fellowships will be over an academic year.
- Fellowship activity added to annual Faculty Activity Reports.
- The faculty fellow will offer two workshops (in-person or virtual) through Academic Outreach around their application and the topic.
- The faculty fellow will either lead or take part in two Online Faculty Learning Community roundtables.
Information subject to change
Application Window: March 22, 2022 – 11:59 pm May 1, 2022
Fellowship Interviews: June 2022
WOW! Faculty Fellow Identified: Late June 2022 – Early July 2022
Declining/Return of the Fellowship
Please inform the Division of Outreach and Continuing Education if you decide to decline or return the fellowship.
For questions and concerns about the WOW! Faculty Fellow, contact Mary Lea McMillan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 662-915-7089.